Some Facebook users are circulating a photo of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos with a caption that enumerates why life was supposedly better during his regime and lists the projects he accomplished.
To make that post balanced and accurate, they should have added the following to the list:
- Plundered an estimated US$5 billion to $US10 billion, according to the Philippine Commission on Good Government
- Amassed the largest foreign debt at more than US$25 billion during his 20-year rule
- 3,257 killed, 35,000 tortured, and 70,000 incarcerated during his regime, according to Alfred W. McCoy of theUniversity of Wisconsin-Madison
- Found guilty by the Federal Court of Hawaii of violating the human rights of almost 10,000 Filipinos
- 878 desaparecidos or victims of forced disappearance were recorded during his regime, according to the Families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance
- Declared Marial Law that took away the people’s freedoms